4 Out Of 3 People Have Trouble With Fractions

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Complex Fractions

We spent a day in 7th grade talking about complex fractions. I wanted a way to review fractions and understand that complex fractions do not mean they are harder to do. After a lot of searching for other people's ideas...I decided I was going to have to come up with my own. 

Here's what we did. I wrote on post-it notes and gave each student one note. I had three different groups of post-its: first group was simple addition and subtraction problems, second group was fractions, third group was addition and subtraction problems involving fractions. Each group contained a few whole numbers.




In their journals they drew a big division bar and we talked about what that line means; it makes a fraction, it means divide.

They then paired up and each put their post-it in either the numerator or denominator and then solved that problem below. Once all the groups finished, one partner rotated to the next group and they solved the new problem. I always had one group work their problem on the board so I could see their work.

I loved this activity. It was a nice change from the mundane, "let's do these examples in your journals". Not everything can have a fancy foldable or project...but mixing up the review and practice sure seemed to help my students stay engaged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment